Blackfish


A woman from Poland has sparked media attention, being labeled as "Blackfish,” a term used to describe someone who pretends to be Black or mixed-race for financial and social gain. She uses the look to gain attention and fame on social media. She reaps all the good aspects, but neglects dealing with anything negative. 

When asked if she would stop she said, “So I don’t feel like I need to stop doing something because… why would I stop doing something that’s benefitting me or that I enjoy doing?”


She is robbing people who have lived experience to tell their stories. She is using race as a commodity, contributing to capitalism's role in white supremacy. She is jumping on the "trend" of blackness, but robbing them of their culture. 


Source: https://www.ebony.com/news/woman-dons-blackface-not-white-white/

Comments

Popular Posts